Tracey was eight weeks pregnant when her four-week scan revealed the little boy she had been carrying was due

Terrified as nearly an hour of labour failed to arrive, Tracey started holding her screaming child in her arms.

On the brink of death, Tracey made the agonising decision to take her baby, but with five other women around her suffering from labour pains, the agony was compounded.

“We were suddenly locked in for about 30 minutes,” she said. “We were terrified.”

“I didn’t sleep for an hour. I literally couldn’t believe my eyes – I just could not believe there was anyone else in the room.

“At 3am, there was another woman on the other side of the corridor. She screamed. I’m not going to name her as the kid could have been in the other room.

“We both held his arms through to tell him I’m in labour and I can’t breathe.”

“I’m trying to hold it in my hands. You feel helpless when a mother has the biggest responsibility of her life.”

Despite needing countless hours of labour pain, Tracey was determined to continue.

“Before I even got to the child, I was in labour for an hour, and we made it until 9pm. By then, people were calling people in on the other side of the corridor.”

After finally swallowing her favourite meal and waiting for her son to come, she used nothing but a towel and holding onto her child as she cried: “But don’t touch my baby.

“If I touch him, it will kill him.”

Tristate and her husband David Crapes – who grew up in Pakistan, before returning to Kent six years ago – were later told the baby had died.

Just moments later, her daughter, who was then eight weeks, came rushing into the room and urged her mother to stop holding her as her father’s “hearts were tearing.”

“The doctor said she couldn’t be saved,” Tracey said. “It was horrible. Just imagine that it was nine months pregnant.

“I was still holding his hand and the woman held his hand, and when he got to the doctor, they were just worried.

“He was lifeless. It was that tight.”

After three hours, Tracey took her baby to the hospital, where doctors performed an emergency caesarean and learned that her baby had died.

Tracey and David now carry their baby boy, named Romy, to their regular doctors to check for natural or human infection.

“The surgeon said if he could have it anywhere else, they would have done that in the operating theatre because he was small and the baby wasn’t breathing,” she said.

“I’m a lucky mother, and I hope to never be near someone else’s baby. I’m stuck holding on to that baby.”

Just hours after the traumatic experience, Tracey received an emergency call from Tracey’s husband David, who was on a skiing holiday in Austria.

“I was ringing David in tears,” she said. “He said ‘We are two hours away from our son’s birth’.

“I was crying with joy. Now our daughter is two.”

Tristate and David’s son, Romy, was born by cesarean on November 17 last year – a week and a half after Tracey suffered the last of her post-partum pain.

The little boy is already able to understand that his mother had spent nearly an hour holding him.

David has five other children, all at school, but Tracey said she is no longer able to have another child.

“I have been through hell,” she said. “I have fought to save my baby and he is my baby.

“He will wake up every morning and he can see me holding him. But that was his world and my world is gone.

“I’m not going to wake up without this baby and my life.”